Out-of-Country Emergency Travel Health Coverage
What is an out-of- country medical emergency?
The definition of an out-of-country medical emergency is “an unforeseen injury or illness that begins while the insured person is traveling outside his or her home province”. You will not be covered if you are travelling against medical advice.
What to do during a medical emergency out-of-province/country?
When traveling abroad, it is important to carry your Great-West Life ID Card. Your card includes the toll-free numbers required to obtain assistance during a medical emergency. In the event of an emergency call Global Medical Assistance (GMA) as soon as possible. The call can be made during or immediately following a medical situation, such as:
- You are hospitalized or about to be hospitalized.
- You need assistance in locating proper medical care.
- Physician and/or Hospital requires insurance verification (confirmed through GMA directly).
- You are involved in an accident requiring medical treatment.
- You have a medical problem and require translation service.
- Emergency evacuation is deemed medically necessary (arrangements will be made through GMA).
- Any serious medical problem arises.
Be prepared to give the name of the person covered, the group and contract number and a description of the problem.
For more information or to print your ID card, log in to the Great-West Life Member Portal with your Great-West Life user name and password.
Great-West Life Online Services
Access to the online site for your group Health and Dental benefits information has never been easier with Great‐West Life’s GroupNet™ for Plan Members.
Available 24/7, this user friendly site provides the following:
- Online claim submission
- Sign up for direct deposit claim payments
- View and print your claim status and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) for the past 24 months. The EOB can be used to coordinate benefits with other insurance carriers.
- Create and print a summary of your claim history by patient and/or benefit.
- Complete and print personalized claim forms.
- Access to Great-West Life’s Health & Wellness Site
Sign up now at www.greatwestlife.com
Information when you’re on the go from your Benefits Solutions People. Great-West Life’s GroupNet™ Mobile app lets you take GroupNet™ for Plan Members with you. You can download GroupNet™ Mobile to Android™, BlackBerry®, and iPhone.
Great-West’s GroupNet™ Mobile lets you:
- Submit claims online through Member eClaims
- Access personalized coverage information about benefits, claims and more – quickly and easily, any time
- View card information including: member ID, Drug and Global Medical Assistance
- Locate the nearest approved provider who has access to Provider eClaims, through a built-in GPS mapping tool
Did You Know?
Through STRATA Select, you could purchase individual insurance? Depending on your needs – whether you are looking for coverage for your parents or additional Travel Health for your next hot vacation – individual insurance is available. Check it out!