This years winners of the Third Annual Chili Cup are Nursing instructors Tom Harrigan and Jackie Santiago (Team Caliente) who wowed the critics with their blend of a “traditional hearty chili with the heat of India and Mexico infused”. Congratulations! If you missed out on their chow, head to the Voyaguer caferia this Wednesday for a Chili Day in November – where their chili (or something close to it) will be served for $3.99 with a bun. A drop off bin for the SA Food Bank will also be there – so bring a tin for the bin
The winner of the equally prestigous President’s Choice Award was Chile Autentico – cooked up by CET administrative assistant Louise Cure – in memory of instructor Gary Giesbrecht who recently passed away. Louise used Gary’s recipe to cobble together a tasty award winning dish, favoured by the President’s Choice panel of President Stephanie Forsyth, Acting VP Academic Dale Watts, and Dean of School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts Keith Muller.
- The Students Association netted nearly $300 in donations for the SA Food Bank. Their “Redneck Chili” also placed second in the People’s Choice award – way to go.
- Third prize was shared by Tammy Kowerko (who seems to make the podium every year due to her culinary awesomenss) and Chili Autentico (CET staff).
- Dr Inferno garnered an honorable mention for his vegetarina Chili – Make Lava, Not War. I wonder what’s in store for next year… “Give Peas a Chance”?
- The Sustainability Office also suceeded with their “green chili” promotion, encouraging 42% of the tasters to bring their own bowl and spoon to the event to cut down on waste from disposable containers. For more photos of the event, head over to the Sustainability’s Facebook page.
- Thanks to the other cooks – Big Bubba and the Chilitas from the Controller’s Office, Guy Dugas, Isabel Bright, Sandra Sukhan and all their helpers for feeding folks and helping raise money for the SA Food Bank.
- And a big big thanks to the volunteers from the Wellness committee for the time and effort setting this up – particularly Cristy Simpson, Brenda Howison, Val Howat, Susan Hayduk, Jason McMaster, and Ryan Ratushniak.