I don’t know if you are like me, but no matter how healthy I may try to eat, I have to have a treat at least couple of times a week. I seem to be okay. Well, here is a Heart-Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to try from the Vegetarian Times site. I know I am going to!
Submitted by Margarita Natcheva Rowley, Diversity and Immigrant Student Support
The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World
When you replace butter and eggs with ground walnuts, and all-purpose flour with a blend of oat flour and oatmeal, you get a moist, chewy, vegan cookie that’s loaded with good-for-your-heart ingredients.
Makes 30 cookies
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 3.5-oz. bars bittersweet vegan chocolate, chopped, or 1½ cups vegan chocolate chips (12 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
2. Blend walnuts in food processor 30 seconds, or until ground into a fine meal. Add canola oil, and blend 2 to 3 minutes more, or until mixture has the consistency of natural peanut butter, scraping down sides of food processor occasionally. Transfer to bowl.
3. Whisk together brown sugar and ½ cup water in small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Pour brown sugar mixture over ground walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain.
4. Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool 10 minutes. Fold in oats, then chocolate chips.
5. Shape cookie dough into 2-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten cookies with bottom of drinking glass dipped in water. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and tops look dry. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Per cookie: Calories: 173, Protein: 3g, Total fat: 10g, Saturated fat: 3g, Carbs: 21g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 122mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 12g