Thank you to all internal and external submitters. The RED Forum Steering Committee will make final selections and contact all submitters with the results of their proposal in mid-March.
Stay tuned for more information about this year’s event!
Alternate formats of this information and the submission form are available on request.
Now in its fourth consecutive year, Red River College is thrilled to be delivering the RED Forum on Friday, May 10, 2019 .
RED Forum is a day-long experience that brings all RRC employees together to focus on Relationships, Education and Direction. We do this through a combination of keynotes and professional development sessions, networking opportunities, and an address from our President.
Call for Proposals
Proposals are now being accepted from both Red River College employees and external submitters for professional development sessions. Sessions should be 60 minutes in length, however 90-minute sessions will be considered in rare circumstances if necessary to maintain the quality of the content.
Please read the full overview before beginning your submission.
Deadline: Monday, February 4, 2019
Please note that no proposals including any form of solicitation will be accepted.
The Role of the Centre for Learning and Program Excellence
The Staff Learning and Development (SLD) team, as well as other departments in the Centre for Learning and Program Excellence (The Centre), play a key role in partnering with presenters from proposal to presentation day.
Here’s the role we play with you:
- Call for Proposals: SLD works with the RED Forum Steering Group to design and promote the Call for Proposals. We also set timelines for when we will need to see materials from presenters.
- Review of Proposals: SLD pre-screens all proposals prior to sending to one of four Advisory Teams that review and rank the proposals.
- Selection: The four Advisory Teams rank the proposals and submit them to SLD who prepares a roster of selections. These selections are reviewed by the RED Forum Steering Group for final approval and placement in the schedule.
- Support to Presenters: Members of the Centre are assigned to presenters to provide consultation and feedback on content, format, outcomes, themes and language to ensure College and RED Forum standards are met. The Centre also provides and coordinates logistical support.
Checklist Before You Begin
Before starting the submission process, please complete the following steps.
- Read the Tips to Completing a Good Submission.
- Ensure you have read the Manitoba Collaborative Indigenous Education Blueprint for Universities and Colleges, known as “The Blueprint” (only one page in length). You are encouraged to contact the School of Indigenous Education before you submit if your proposal contains Indigenous content.
- Examine the Professional Development Streams and pick one
- Examine the presentation Session Formats and pick one
- Prepare an abstract, learning outcomes and a lesson plan – see the template below
- Need a hard copy to look at while you prepare your submission? Download and print the Word Version.
Tips to Completing a Good Submission
- Get to know the Strategic Plan. Become familiar with the four themes and respective Initiatives. How does your topic align to the plan, and why? Decide how your session will add value to the RED Forum and help us achieve our organizational goals.
- Consider who will present. Will you facilitate the session on your own or team up with others? Consider your counterparts in other institutions, or colleagues/leaders in business or community. What value could they add?
- Brainstorm. Think about what you know of the needs and interests of RRC’s 2,200 staff. What tool will they walk away with from your session? How can you actively involve them? How will you ensure that your presentation is both engaging and memorable, and that you are viewed as a prepared and dynamic speaker?
- Consider your format. Have a topic that could be worthy of some thoughtful debate? Propose a point-counterpoint format with a moderator! Have a project that you’d like feedback on? Use the RED forum to invite interaction and input through an exhibit or open café! Want to let us experience what you do? Offer an experiential tour and activity. Bottom line here: Challenge your own comfort zone!
- Draft it. Complete each section thoughtfully. Request feedback from your supervisor or another knowledgeable colleague or experienced presenter.
Professional Development Streams
We ask you to download the appropriate template and use it in your submission form. Thanks!
For Indigenous Achievement Stream click here: Lesson Plan Template – Indigenous Achievement Stream
For all other Streams click here: Lesson Plan Template – all other streams
Selection Process and Criteria
Proposals are selected to ensure the RED Forum offers a comprehensive, objective, and diverse program.
Attention will be given to diversity of facilitators, subject areas, and campus representation.
Selections are ranked by RED Forum Advisory Groups specializing in each stream, and final selections are approved by this year’s RED Forum Steering Group. Outcomes will be communicated to all submitters in mid-March or earlier.
In the case of multiple proposals on the same topic, more information may be requested of the submitter to help the RED Forum Steering Group make a final decision.
Any submissions that include solicitation (sales pitches, special offers, suggestions of further sessions that require payment, etc.) will be rejected.
We reserve the right to reject presentations after the acceptance of a proposal if they fail to align with the criteria.
The criteria for selection are:
- Shows a demonstrated alignment to one or more RRC Strategic Plan themes
- Offers value to a wide range of employees
- Contributes to a well-balanced slate of topics within the stream
- Articulates clear learning outcomes, abstract and lesson plan
- Provides employees with at least one practical tool or ‘takeaway’ that can be applied immediately
- Presentation and/or presenters connect to principles of equity, diversity and inclusion
- Submission package is complete