Organizations don’t change…people do.
What is Change Management?
Prosci says that “Change management is the discipline that guides how we prepare, equip and support individuals to successfully adopt change in order to drive organizational success and outcomes.
Change management provides a structured approach for supporting the individuals in our organization to move from their own current states to their own future states.”
Change management parallels and compliments the work of project management. For information on how the two disciplines work together, read the following articles:
- Project Management and Change Management Comparison
- Dimensions of Integrating Project Management and Change Management
RRC has adopted the Prosci change management methodology to guide the people side of individual, organizational and enterprise change. Since January 2018, over 150 College leaders and employees have received specialized training as Sponsors, Managers or Practitioners.These individuals now form a community of practice that will integrate change practices into projects across Red River College.
Our change management strategy is led by a Steering Group comprised of Sponsors, Managers and Practitioners. This Steering Group is guiding the rollout of change practices and training across the College, including the assignment of a change practitioner to support projects that meet specific criteria. Want a sneak peek into how a change practitioner supports the project? Check out this overview.
However, projects of smaller scope/risk/readiness that do not meet the test for formal practitioner support still benefit from change management tools and resources. Simple change practices can make a big difference in achieving the benefits of the project!
Here’s some ways you can incorporate change practices to help a project of any size!
- Become familiar with the ADKAR methodology and use the language. ADKAR stands for Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability and Reinforcement. These are the 5 milestones that an individual must go through, and achieve, in order to experience a change successfully. Learn more about ADKAR.
- Watch a free webinar on a range of topics.
- Sign up to receive blog articles on change topics.
- Borrow a copy (we have several) of the Employee Survival Guide to Change, available in the Centre for Learning and Program Excellence (FM28, Notre Dame Campus) – or purchase copies for yourself or your team!
For more information about RRC’s Change Management initiative, contact Melanie Gudmundson, Chair of the Change Management Steering Group, at email@example.com or (204) 632-3079.