Accessible Assignments and Assessments
Build assignments in LEARN using Dropbox folders and assessments (quizzes, tests and exams) using Quizzes.
Use Dropbox to build an assignment folder for providing instructions, uploading submissions and providing feedback.
- Use an ungraded practice assignment to allow students to become familiar with the Dropbox. This will reduce anxiety.
Provide clear, step by step instructions using an unordered list (bullets) or ordered list (numbers) in the Instructions field.
- Provide a clear indication of how much time is being given to complete
- Provide clear due dates for assignment submissions
Carefully read the instructions for this assignment:
- Follow the directions for each task
- Record your observations in the appropriate recording form
- Submit the completed recording forms to Dropbox
Special access for accommodations
You can give special access for a Dropbox folder to accommodate students with documented disabilities who need extra time to complete an assignment.
You can provide feedback to students to meet their specific needs using text, audio or video.
Use the Quizzes tool to build assessments, including quizzes, test and exams.
- Use an ungraded practice quiz to allow students to become familiar with the Quizzes tool. This will reduce anxiety.
- Do not prevent students from going back to previous questions. This will allow students to review all the questions and to go back to questions they may have skipped. This will reduce anxiety.
- It’s best not to use Respondus Lockdown Browser. It can cause issues with some assistive technologies.
- Allow for flexible start times. For example, rather than a quiz that is scheduled from 9-9:30am, allow 30 minutes for quiz that must be completed sometime between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
Provide clear and concise instructions in the Description field. Write step by step instructions using an unordered list (bullets) or ordered list (numbers).
- Provide clear indication of how much time is being given for assessments (e.g. 1 hour for a test)
- Provide clear assessments dates
Carefully read the instructions for this quiz.
- You will have 7 minutes to complete the 7 multiple choice questions.
- If you are not certain of an answer, fill in an answer you think might be correct and go on to the next question.
- If you finish before the time has ended, go back and review your answers to the questions.
- Remember that once you leave this quiz, you will not be able to return to it.
- No calculators, scrap paper or other resources are permitted.
Special access for accommodations
Accommodations for students with documented disabilities include extended time to complete exams and tests. You can give special access to accommodate students who need extra time to complete a quiz, test or exam.
Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus Lockdown Browser prevents students from opening up other browser windows on their system. It can cause issues with some text to speech technologies used for literacy purposes. These may be blocked or require adjustment. If you choose to use Respondus Lockdown Browser, be prepared to provide accommodations for students with disabilities.
If you include images in Dropbox or Quizzes, add alternative (or alt text) to the images that describes their content or their context.
Using Audio and Video
If you include audio or video in Dropbox or Quizzes, use transcripts and captions.
- Video requires a text transcript and captions of the embedded audio content
- Audio requires a text transcript of the embedded audio content