How It Works
New vs Old
Fixed Menu (The Old Way)
Students register, pay for and complete an entire program on our timeline and our terms, with little room to explore.
A la Carte Menu (The New CBR Way)
Under Course-Based Registration, students enrol in and pay for courses within a program at their own pace. They have the option to explore courses outside their program. (e.g., An Automotive student could also earn a Business certificate to open up his or her own shop.)
New program design
For CBR to work, our programs must coordinate across the College. All RRC programs adopting CBR will follow these guidelines:
- A maximum weekly student workload of 25 hours
- 15-week semester length
- Three semesters per year:
- Fall (August–December)
- Winter (January–April)
- Spring (May–August)
- Maximum six courses per semester
- 45-hour course length for three-credit-hour courses OR 90-hour course length for six-credit-hour courses
- All courses will be on LEARN
- All courses will adopt the Common Courses Framework
New and improved tools
Student Planning is a new Colleague software module that will enable students to plan, select and schedule courses, receive advising support, monitor credential progress, and register – all in one place.
Student Advisors will play a larger, more focused role helping students choose the correct courses to achieve their credentials.
October 2020: expected Student Planning implementation date for Phase 1 and 2 programs.
By the Numbers
580+ faculty, staff and leaders are directly involved and impacted by Phase 2.
950+ students are already benefiting from the transition to CBR Phase 1 and 2.
Programs begin converting to course-based registration in two ways:
- By volunteering to convert
- As part of their next Program Renewal
- Phase 1: 4 programs (complete)
- Phase 2: 19 programs (in progress)
- Phase 3: 25-30 programs (2021)
- Phase 4: 20-30 programs (2022)
- Phase 5: All remaining eligible programs (2023)
- Completion Date: 2023
Note: Some programs will NOT adopt CBR. Please reach out to your Chair for details.