Micro-credential: a certification of assessed learning that is additional, alternate, complementary to or a formal component of a formal qualification.
Digital Badge: a visual image that communicates the verified achievement of learning, skills and/or competencies, often representing the completion of a micro-credential. Digital badges can be embedded with metadata, which contain information about the credential and provide supporting evidence about how it was assessed and earned.
- Micro-credentials delivered and endorsed by Red River College Polytechnic are governed by RRC Polytech Academic Polices and aligned with the College’s Credential Qualification Framework.
- adhere to prescribed guidelines to ensure relevance and quality in design, delivery and assessment
- include the six Quality Dimensions for Connected Credentials transparency, modularity, portability, relevance, validity, and equity (American Council on Education)
- Micro-credentials represent and verify mastery of a specific skill or competence.
- use learning outcomes to clearly define skill or competence
- use rigorous, flexible and authentic assessment methods
- Micro-credentials are developed in response to needs of stakeholders including employers, industry and/or the community.
- meet industry/sector standards and are recognized and endorsed by relevant stakeholders
- promote connections and partnerships with employers and industry
- Micro-credentials are unique offerings and do not replicate a College course.
- are units smaller/shorter than a College course
- may be a subset of skills/competencies currently offered
- Micro-credentials are portable and stackable records of learning.
- stand-alone as credentials and/or form part of an educational pathway
- encourage recruitment, upskilling and career enhancement
- Micro-credentials are represented by a digital badge that is sharable.
- contains meta-data and is linked to Red River College Polytechnic
Micro-credential Guiding Principles were approved by Senior Academic Committee January 15, 2021.