Defining Our Brand
Because of the research conducted at Red River College Polytechnic — and the way we teach and learn, and deliver programming that meets employer demands — we hold a unique position within the province’s post-secondary landscape. Simply put, we are Manitoba’s polytechnic — the only institute of applied research and work-integrated learning in the province, and one of only 13 polytechnic institutions in Canada.
Brand purpose: The singular purpose of RRC Polytech is moving Manitoba forward. We do that by readying people to make an impact from the outset — and to meet the challenges of tomorrow — by applying research designed to solve real-world problems, and by respecting how culture impacts the way we work together, so that we can bring out the best in each other.
Brand promise: Our promise is what we do every day in seeking to fulfil our purpose: As Manitoba’s polytechnic, we will ensure our research is applied, our courses are designed, and our people are trained for what matters here — keeping our province in front of what’s ahead.
Brand pillars: Touchpoints for the value and importance of the work done here by RRC faculty, staff and graduates, our brand pillars qualify what the word polytechnic means, and why RRC Polytech matters to Manitoba:
- Applied research: We study tangible problems and provide real-life solutions that move Manitoba forward.
- Work-integrated learning and learning-integrated work: We deliver hands-on learning opportunities that ensure our graduates are ready to make an impact on Day One, and are ready to boost industry every day.
- Industry-driven programming: We anticipate the ever-evolving needs of employers and provide learning that keeps Manitoba in front of what’s ahead.
Our commitment to reconciliation and Indigenous success — and to inclusion and diversity — is integral to each of these pillars, not adjacent. We consider how diverse groups of learners are participating in — and benefitting from — the research we conduct. We design and deliver programs in a matter that ensures students from all backgrounds learn skills they can use in their careers and their communities. We are working to address the needs of employers to include a strong Indigenous workforce.
Brand character: Through research and consultation, three words were chosen to define our campaign’s character, and to inspire the development of positioning statements. These descriptors are intended to influence the tone of our marketing and communications, ensuring our brand is firmly centred — not only in what we say, but how we say it. We are:
- Candid: We tell it like it is. We don’t use 10 words when six will do. We don’t take the long way, or the scenic route to solutions. We’re here to make an impact.
- Driven: We know what we are, and what we’re capable of. We’re self-assured about our role in the province, and the responsibility it carries. We possess a steadiness and calm on which Manitobans have come to depend, even in the face of adversity.
- Mindful: We are conscientious, thoughtful and passionate about strengthening Manitoba’s economic and social fabric. We understand sophisticated ideas and work in complex environments — providing real value for employers and our economy.
Brand manifesto: The following narrative sums up our story using language consistent with the tone set by our character:
There’s a place in Manitoba where learning mirrors the market. Where a cross-disciplinary approach isn’t just encouraged, it’s engrained. Where research is focused solely on answering today’s industry questions, and anticipating tomorrow’s employer needs. And where graduates are ready to make an immediate impact — not eventually, not someday, but now. That one place is RRC Polytech.
Brand tagline: Our tagline is a more succinct version of our promise: In front of what’s ahead.
Here, we boldly own the impact we’ve been making for years. By saying we’re in front, we’re making our stand as leaders, and saying we are the first choice if you want to make a difference.
This is the statement of an institution driven by the real world. We go where we’re needed, and we deliver solutions for tomorrow, today. We are the ones future-proofing Manitoba.
Applying Our Brand
This Brand Book is a resource of guidelines and policies relating to our public image. Consistent messaging is key to upholding our brand integrity, therefore all visuals, communications and marketing materials must reflect the same values.
Compliance with the following helps to achieve that consistency.
Visual identity: Remember that RRC Polytech’s brand is both a mirror and a window: it reflects how we conduct ourselves and lets audiences peer inside. As such, the most important part of the brand is how its employees represent its promise and live its values. Visual identity standards exist to facilitate this representation and are meant to help, not hinder, efforts to promote RRC Polytech.
If you feel your efforts are being impeded by the brand, don’t hesitate to contact RRC Polytech’s Marketing and Web Presence team for help.
Logos, wordmarks and lettermark: RRC Polytech’s logo, wordmarks and lettermark — including alternate wordmarks for schools, departments, programs, etc. — are not to be used without the express permission of the Marketing department. If you are working on a College-related event or promotional piece and don’t have time to secure permission, simply use “Red River College Polytechnic,” “RRC Polytech” or “RRC” in plain text — do not try to replicate the logo, wordmarks or lettermark.
Photography: The Marketing department receives many requests for photography and event coverage. Prior to making such a request, consider the end use of the photos. How and where will they be used? What is the key shot you’re looking to capture? And is a professional or in-house photographer required, considering the final purpose? Most smart phones are capable of taking high-quality photos — perfect for when images will be used solely for web or social media.
Branded items: All RRC Polytech -branded promotional items must be purchased through, or with approval and assistance from, the Campus Store. This includes all merchandise, including novelties and giveaways such as t-shirts, hats, pens, mugs, etc. Where the RRC brand appears is every bit as important as how it appears, so we consider factors such as product quality and ethical sourcing with every purchase.
Videos: Unless part of an RRC Polytech campaign*, eTV will serve as lead on all video projects supporting academics at the College (i.e., those projects that serve primarily to support students and faculty).
Staff at eTV will uphold the RRC Polytech brand and visual identity standards; any client wishing to diverge from the brand will be referred back to Marketing for approval.
Printing: Unless part of an RRC Polytech campaign*, all work involving the production of print material — including business cards, stationery, posters, notepads, cover pages, brochures, magazines, menus, catalogues, etc. — will be directed to the RRC Print Shop.
Staff at the Print Shop will uphold the RRC Polytech’s brand and visual identity standards; any client wishing to diverge from the brand will be referred back to Marketing for approval.
Note: An RRC Polytech campaign is defined as something that is:
• Public-facing, or more than just internal, and/or;
• Likely to garner mainstream media attention, and/or;
• Part of a larger visual rollout.
Signage: Artwork, displays and signage on our campuses all add up to a potential first impression. All internal and external signage must be designed to create a professional, welcoming and informative impression, adhering to our brand standards.
In partnership with RRC Polytech’s Building Management and Facility Management teams, the Marketing department should be consulted prior to any new or updated signage, display, art or other similar installation — whether temporary or permanent — to ensure proper consideration of hierarchical consistency, sustainability, sizing, accessibility, location and visual identity compliance.
RRC Polytech’s brand is the sum of its products, services, environments, people, behaviour, identity and communications. It is a combination of the things comprising RRC Polytech’s public image and expectations. Primarily, it is a promise to our audiences — one we must all strive to fulfil.
College communications — formal and informal, literal and visual — are among the most significant contributors to our brand, and therefore consistent messaging is key to upholding our brand integrity. Depending on the target audience, all RRC Polytech communications must reinforce our values, attributes and — most importantly — our promise.
- Alumni: Graduates and former students
- Teachers and guidance/career counsellors: High school and middle school staff of school divisions in Manitoba, including staff of schools in target geographic recruitment areas
- Current students: Students enrolled at RRC Polytech, at any campus/location (or online) and in any course or program
- Donors/funders and prospective donors/funders: Individuals, corporations, industries and foundations that invest financially in RRC Polytech, or are considering a future investment in education
- Industry/employers: Any entity or individual that does or may work with RRC Polytech, or offer(s) co-op and work placements to its students
- Government: All three levels of government, including Crown corporations and affiliated agents
- Parents: Guardians, mentors and family influences or prospective students
- Prospective students — Those who are considering educational and career options and could potentially become students at RRC Polytech, including full-time, part-time and continuing education students, and those considering course-based registration
- Staff/faculty: Employees, retirees and others employed by RRC Poytech through contract
Red River College Polytechnic empowers students to exceed industry expectations and lead successful careers.
Red River College Polytechnic will ensure its research is applied, its courses are designed, and its people are trained for what matters in Manitoba — keeping our students, and our province, in front of what’s ahead.
- Learning: At RRC Polytech, we cherish learning, and have clear and high standards for development for all members of the College community.
- Respect: We believe in honouring the worth of others by demonstrating fairness, courtesy and compassion
- Inclusiveness: We believe in fostering a diverse community and striving for greater inclusiveness
- Integrity: We maintain at all times the highest level of honesty, communication, cooperation and credibility in relationships and fulfilling our commitments, including managing the resources entrusted to us.
- Healthy environments: We believe in promoting creativity, wellness and flexibility through a safe and sustainable learning environment.
- Commitment to community: We serve the broader needs of the people of our community, and strive to involve the community and contribute to the enhancement of the overall quality of life.
- Manitoba’s polytechnic: RRC Polytech is a key component in Manitoba’s network of higher education options, and a significant contributor to fuelling the provincial economy. RRC Polytech is known for its extensive selection of industry-relevant offerings — from micro-credentials and course-based registration to apprenticeships, diplomas, certificates and degrees — and for its substantial investment in applied research efforts with industry partners.
- Superior education: RRC Polytech strives to offer innovative, flexible, responsive and career-focused skill development that contributes to student success. Graduates are skilled and in-demand by employers in a wide range of fields.
- Applied learning: In addition to theoretical learning, RRC Polytech provides valuable hands-on experience through industry-trained instructors, internships and co-op work placements, and applied research and other key partnerships with industry.
- Far-reaching and accessible: RRC Polytech has an extensive reach throughout the province, with educational offerings at competitive rates that can meet the needs of learners, employers, industries and community organizations in both rural and urban areas.
- Instructive and dynamic: RRC Polytech is a positive, comfortable environment in which to learn. Smaller class sizes allow students to connect with and learn from one another while interacting regularly with supportive, knowledgeable instructors.
- Diverse and community-oriented: RRC Polytech is a safe and respectful learning and working environment for people of any culture, age, gender or ability. RRC Polytech partners with the community at large — and with Indigenous and immigrant communities, in particular — to support and enhance economic and social progress in Manitoba.
- Innovate: RRC Polytech is an advanced, forward-thinking institution that harnesses the latest in learning methodologies and technologies.
- Sustainable: RRC Polytech is committed to adopting sustainable practices and teaching by doing things efficiently, innovatively and collaboratively.
- Internationalized: RRC Polytech is engaged in international activities locally and abroad, and offers the facilities, supports, processes and policies required to ensure international students succeed in their educational pursuits.
RRC Polytech communicates with the public using a variety of media depending on cost, suitability and target audience. These media include, but are not limited to:
- Print ads
- Print publications
- Recruitment fairs
- Online ads
- TV ads
- Radio ads
- News releases
Regardless of the media format deemed most suitable for a particular message or initiative, the involvement of RRC Polytech’s Marketing department is critical to ensure consistency of messaging, so that all communication materials adhere to the highest possible standards of quality and professionalism.
Note: Any questions or concerns regarding the production or distribution of external communications materials should be directed to the Marketing department.
When communicating about RRC Polytech, it’s important to consistently use the proper form of the organization’s name.
- Red River College is RRC Polytech’s legal name. It should be used where required by law, such as in contracts, forms, and legal or financial documents.
- Red River College Polytechnic is the College’s communicative name. It should be used in formal communications and applications such as signage, diplomas and certificates, business cards, etc.
- RRC Polytech is the abbreviated form of the communicative name. It should be used in most instances where our brand is represented, whether in print or online.
- RRC is the acronym for the College. It should only be used in materials where the full College name has already been used.
- Though “Red River” and “the College” are commonly used shorthand when referring to RRC Polytech, these terms should only be used in cases where the full College name has already appeared, and when the audience is familiar with the institution.
Note: Any questions or concerns regarding the use of the RRC Polytech name in external communications materials should be directed to the Marketing department.