Manager’s Process Checklist
Planning the Performance Support Conversation Program Roll-Out (2-3 Weeks Prior to Rolling-out the Program)
- Send an email to all departmental staff OR hold a departmental meeting to inform staff that Performance Support Conversations Program will be beginning within the next few weeks.
- Reference Appendix I and Appendix II in the Manager’s Guide for email and agenda templates.
Preparing for and Setting-up Individual Conversations (1 – 2 Weeks Prior to Individual Conversation)
- Review the Manager’s Guide
- Review the Performance Support Conversations Program form and fill-out identified sections
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions
- Send a meeting invite to the employee with a brief summary of what to expect and what needs to be completed prior to the meeting. Make it clear that the meeting is not disciplinary. Include the following message in the meeting invite:
The Performance Support Conversation
- Use the Performance Support Conversations Program form to guide you through the conversation. Keep the communication open, positive, and supportive in nature. It is important to actively listen to what the employee is saying and take down key points on the form.
- Ensure you and the employee sign the Performance Support Conversations Program form at the end of the meeting to indicate that the meeting has taken place.
Post Meeting (Up to 1 Week After Individual Conversation)
- Send the original signed Performance Support Conversations Program form to the Human Resources general email inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make a copy of the Performance Support Conversations Program form to keep for your records.
- Create a summary email and send it the employee within one week of the meeting (attach a copy of the form).
- *If necessary, schedule a follow-up meeting within 3-6 months depending on specific expectations provided and the urgency to make improvements.
Completing the Performance Support Conversation Program Roll-Out
- Send out an email to your department once all conversations have taken place. See Appendix I in the Manager’s Guide for a department meetings complete email template.