NOTE: Applications now closed.
The ENVISION Leadership Program is a rewarding learning experience designed for highly motivated employees who are interested in exploring leadership at Red River College Polytechnic. To qualify for the program, you must not presently be in a management position or role in which you are responsible for directing the work of other employees.
While your participation in the ENVISION program does not guarantee a formal leadership position at the College, by completing the program you will:
- Increase your leadership competencies.
- Raise your self-awareness by identifying your natural strengths and abilities.
- Examine your personality and preferred leadership styles.
- Develop effective leadership skills through in-class, online, and experience-based learning.
- Hone your professional skills and develop confidence through coaching and mentorship opportunities.
Why does ENVISION exist?
We’ve all heard the statement, “people don’t leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.” Research indicates that effective leadership is a core driver of organizational results and employee engagement. But what specific skills and abilities are demonstrated by effective leaders and how are these competencies developed?
Working collaboratively with your ENVISION cohort, you will build the breadth and depth of your leadership competencies by:
- Raising your self-awareness through examination of your leadership strengths and abilities.
- Actively engaging in classroom and online learning experiences designed to support the development of your essential leadership skills.
The ENVISION program is open to staff and faculty interested in developing greater awareness of their leadership abilities.
Your eligibility to participate in the ENVISION Program is based on the following requirements:
- You are not presently in a management or supervisory role with direct reports.
- You have completed your regular or extended probationary period.
- You have spoken with your supervising manager about your goals for applying to ENVISION.
Important: Your supervisor must support your application in order for you to proceed to the next phase of the process. It is highly recommended that you have a conversation with your immediate supervisor prior to starting your application.
Your supervisor’s endorsement will be based on their assessment of your readiness for ENVISION, guided by the following three criteria: vulnerability, accountability, and communication. These criteria are important competencies for every ENVISION cohort member to possess to ensure that their time in the program is successful and worthwhile.
- Demonstrates a willingness to self-reflect, share, and try new approaches that may feel uncomfortable.
- Fosters connection with others on a regular basis.
- Seeks out and is regularly open to feedback without becoming defensive or dismissive.
- Demonstrates a view of themselves as able to make an impact, rather than simply being impacted by change.
- Demonstrates a solution-oriented mindset despite the constrained realities we face.
- Makes a personal choice to ‘buy in’ to decisions made by their leaders, even if they do not personally agree with them.
- Demonstrates personal motivation and can be trusted to meet deadlines and prioritize their time.
- Presents information in an organized and clear manner to achieve understanding and shared purpose.
- Makes the effort to ensure there is clarity for the receiver, even if it takes longer.
- Understands how to communicate differently to various audiences.
- Demonstrates respect, dignity, professionalism and inclusive language in all communications.
Red River College Polytechnic is committed to ensuring equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in increasing diversity in our leadership roles. We seek diversity in the ENVISION program and are dedicated to ensuring that there is appropriate representation in this year’s cohort. Indigenous persons, women, racialized persons, persons of all gender identities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
RRC Polytech is committed to providing an accessible employment, and ensuring that our recruitment, assessment and selection process is barrier free. If a candidate requires accommodation, please let us know in writing and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Attendance and Availability
The ENVISION program is designed to provide all cohort members with a consistent and cohesive learning experience so that steady progress is made by the entire group. While a situation may arise in your life or work schedule that will prevent you from attending a live classroom or online learning event, the goal is always to have 100% classroom attendance.
It is not possible to truly ‘make-up’ for the practice and experiences gained in class. So, before you apply to become part of this year’s ENVISION cohort, be sure to check the dates and times of all upcoming ENVISION sessions to see if any conflicts exist in your schedule.
By participating in ENVISION, you demonstrate that you are committed to developing your leadership competencies through completion of all modules offered in the Values and Ethics, Leadership and Personal Development, and Applied Management Series.
Important: Take a moment to review the Program Calendar for details on the delivery dates and times for all of the modules.
Three self-paced online learning modules delivered through the Values and Ethics Series that must be taken before the formal program start date in Fall 2021.
Eight required in-class learning modules specifically designed for ENVISION cohort members that include pre- and post-session activities and reflective, hands-on assignments.
All modules in the Leadership and Personal Development and Applied Management Series will be delivered in a classroom or virtual learning environment every third Wednesday of the month.
Completion of four elective options over the course of the 12-month ENVISION program. You will be advised on the ENVISION electives that can be selected from the suite of classroom and online sessions available through the ENABLE and ENGAGE programs.
You can also complete your elective requirements by studying online via LinkedIn Learning. You will be provided with a list of suggested playlists that you can complete as you develop the competencies required by leaders at RRC Polytech.
An applied project that will begin in the second half of the program and conclude with an interactive ‘gallery walk’ or presentation of your final project to an audience of your peers, managers, project advisors, and members of the College’s executive team. Your applied project will be based on an organizational initiative aligned with the College’s strategic plan.
The applied project is ENVISION’s capstone experience that draws on the skills you will gain individually and through group work. While your role on a project team may vary, your value to it does not. ENVISION presents you with a unique opportunity to showcase your contributions to the College in a meaningful, yet fun, creative way.
Supports and Resources
The ENVISION program has several built-in supports and resources to help foster a successful, challenging and rewarding experience for you at all stages in your development.
These supports include:
- A cohort model: You will experience ENVISION as part of a cohort. From the start of the program to when it ends you will attend all sessions with a group of your peers. Over time, this approach allows for deeper learning, meaningful working relationships and opportunities to stretch, fail, succeed, and grow in a safe and trusting environment.
- A learning partner: Each ENVISION participant is paired with other participants throughout the program. Learning partners will be matched as a means of peer support, informal feedback, and in some instances, submitting joint assignments. Learning partners are wonderful additions to your learning experience, offering unique skills and energies that can complement your own. They also can become a trusted confidante with whom you can hold accountable in a supportive manner.
- Manager support: Managers are a key ingredient to the success of ENVISION. Support from each manager maximizes the opportunities for you to apply the learning that takes place in each session. Managers are encouraged to provide you with ongoing feedback during and following the end of the program. They are also asked to support you in creating time and space in your workload to actively engage in the program. All participating managers are encouraged to attend an orientation session prior to the start of the ENVISION program to learn more about the ways they will help and support you during your time in the program.
- RRC Polytech Leadership Library and the RRC Polytech Library: Not only is the entire RRC Polytech library collection available to you, but the Organizational Development department also offers a Leadership Library of over 200 current titles including biographies/memoirs, books on conflict management, leadership, emotional intelligence, and communication to support you in the development of your leadership competencies.
You are also encouraged to familiarize yourself with the RRC Polytech Leadership Competencies and the RRC Polytech Strategic Plan Summary 2016-21.
Application Requirements and Deadline
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Monday, June 14. You are advised not to wait until the application deadline to begin your application. Your completed application must include the following requirements:
- Online application form that includes:
- An endorsement from your supervisor
- A completed learning plan
- A recorded video presentation
- The latest copy of your resume
Thinking of applying? Get started today ›
If you are unsure about the eligibility requirements for ENVISION, don’t hesitate to speak with one of the ENVISION program contacts or review the most frequently asked questions.
ENVISION Program Lead, Organizational Development Consultant
Manager, Organizational Development
Note: Chairs, Program Managers, Deans/Directors, and any other employees who have direct reports are not eligible for this program and should check out the ENABLE Program instead. If you are unsure if you are eligible, don’t hesitate to speak with one of the ENVISION contacts.