Back in January 2013, the Know Your Numbers blog was launched by the Research and Planning department to begin a journey in data storytelling. The blog is meant to help the College Community discover the data gems that would otherwise lay hidden in the survey archives, remain buried in the depths of Colleague, or be left stuck on a roll of brown paper curled up in a storage room corner.
These stories highlight some of the wonderful events taking place at Red River College, all with at least a little bit of data added for good measure. Here is some of what you may have missed in the past 9 months:
- Our very first blog post was about the Academic Annual Report, a collaborative report that is chock full of data, charts, and more importantly some inspiring stories about this wonderful College and the accomplishments of people who work and study here.
- Social Media Usage among Red River College Staff and Faculty unveils the social media habits and attitudes of RRC staff and faculty. Spoiler alert! While many staff have discovered Facebook, very few have brought it (or other social media tools) into the classroom.
- “What Manitobans and Private Sector Organizations think about Red River College” examines RRCs’ reputation compared to other Manitoba universities. How do you think we compare?
- Did you know that the College has a Research Ethics Board? Do you know why research ethics are so important? Discover key details about the REB process, including what to do if you are planning to conduct research at Red River College that involves human participation.
- Learn more about the Paths to Success initiative and how it fits into the College’s student success strategy. If you want to see how the information is used, check out these posts on International and Immigrant students, the importance of high school grades for predicting success, or this general profile of first year full-time students.
- The Graduate Satisfaction & Employment Survey and the Student Evaluation of Program survey are two key student surveys run by the Research and Planning department every year. Discover more about how these surveys help measure quality of education and the labour market success of our graduates.
- Red River College has many strategic initiatives and actions underway, including the Campus Master Plan. Now entering it’s final phases, this post gives an overview of the Campus Master Planning process and why it is important.
- Research and Planning helps support many committees around the College, including the Wellness Committee. These posts on Web Analytics and Measuring Staff Wellness show how information from the staff survey and tracking hits to the College’s blogs (such as the Wellness blog) can be used to inform decision-making.
In the next few months watch the Staff News for more stories about student enrollment trends, the latest on the Paths to Success survey, and updates on some of our other surveys (including a new one called the Apprenticeship Evaluation of Level survey). Some of our writers are very good at making something that might normally seem dry into something fascinating and relevant. Keep your eyes peeled.