Honorary Degree and Diploma
Red River College prides itself on the ability to award Honorary Degrees or Diplomas to individuals who demonstrate high standards of excellence in their personal and professional achievements and whose accomplishments locally, nationally, or internationally qualify them for such recognition.
The award honours individuals in diverse fields who are distinguished by their significant accomplishments and contributions and whose receipt of the award will bring honour and distinction to Red River College.
Recipients of the Honorary Degree or Diploma may include former members of RRC’s Board of Governors, former advisory committee members, former public officials and former employees, as well as those who have no prior role with the College. RRC graduates are eligible for a separate distinction: the College’s Distinguished Alumni Award. At no time shall an individual with a current paid position or one who serves on the RRC Board of Governors be recognized with this honour.
Honorary Degrees and Diplomas will be presented during Red River College’s spring convocation ceremony. The recipient must be present to have the honour conferred upon him/her and is a condition of this honour. Should the successful candidate not be able to attend the convocation ceremony, he/she may be considered for the award in the following year and only at the discretion of the President. In special circumstances, the College can decide to honour the recipient in a location that is more suitable to the recipient.
The recipient of the Honorary Degree or Diploma will be invited to address the convocation.
Nominees should meet one or more of the criteria as outlined below to be considered. The individual:
- Has made significant contributions to either: (1) Red River College; (2) a particular field of post-secondary study; and/or (3) post-secondary education on a local, national or international level;
- Has accomplished great success in either a paid or volunteer position that reflects the values of Red River College;
- Enhances or promotes the College’s image/reputation in Manitoba or elsewhere; and/or
- Serves as an inspirational example to the College community due to significant accomplishment or achievement.
RRC’s Board of Governors will approve the recipient(s) from a ranked list of nominees recommended by the Honorary Degree/Diploma Committee. If the Board’s first choice recipient is unable to accept the award, it may then be offered to the second choice nominee, etc.
- 2017: Paul Charette
- 2016: Eleanor Thompson
- 2015: Dave Angus, Ace Burpee
- 2014: Larry Vickar, Lisa Meeches
- 2012: Stella Blackbird
- 2011: Takashi Murakami
- 2010: Polly Craik
- 2009: John Buhler
- 2008: Bob Brennan
- 2007: Charles Loewen
- 2006: Gail Asper
- 2005: Ed Van Humbeck
- 2004: Dr. June James
- 2003: Arthur DeFehr
- 2002: Robert Silver
- 2001: The Honourable Mr. Justice Murray Sinclair
- 2000: Robert Chipman
- 1998: Marion Suski
- 1997: The Honourable Duff Roblin
- 1996: Ronald S. Blicq, Dr. Ian Smith
- 1995: Lloyd McGinnis