Communication for Transportation Technology
This English for Specific Purposes (ESP) course is designed to prepare students for the following Transportation Technology programs offered at Red River College: Automotive Technician- diploma and certificate program, Collision Refinishing, Collision Repair and Refinishing, Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic, and Outdoor Power Equipment Technician.
This full-time, 14-week communication program is intended for international students who have not met the English language requirements for their academic program and have a background/interest in cars, trucks, big-rigs, heavy duty equipment and outdoor power equipment.
This program helps students:
- Develop English language skills that will enable interaction in a mechanic’s and/or technician’s workshop
- Learn the academic skills and strategies necessary to succeed in a college program
- Learn language specific to succeed academically in the transportation technology programs
- Develop an understanding of what is needed to become employed as a mechanic or technician
- Obtain cultural information about being a college student and being employed in Canada
Knowledge and skills are gained through adult English as an Additional Language (EAL) classroom study, computer laboratory work, guest speakers, workshops, field trips, and observations of academic programs.
- Must be an international visa student with a current study permit
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark 6
- Spring 2021: May 4, 2021 – August 20, 2021
- Fall 2021: August 30, 2021 – December 12, 2021
- Winter 2022: January 4, 2022 – April 22, 2022
The delivery of ESP programs is contingent on student enrollment