Communication for Internationally-Educated Health Professionals (CIEHP)
The focus is on Language, Culture and Communication in the Canadian Health Care Context. Skill-building in speaking and listening will be emphasized.
Topics will include:
- Introduction to Language and Communication
- Overview of Health Care in Canada and Manitoba
- Patient-Centred Practice
- Effective Interviewing
- Collaborative Practice
- Professional Communication (“Soft” skills)
- Therapeutic Communication
- Communicating with Challenging Patients
- The “Language” of Health Care
- Strategies for Effective Communication and Lifelong Learning
- 200 hours (12 weeks)
- Online component, pre- and post-workshop (8 hours/week)
- Face-to-face workshops (8 hours/week – 2 mornings)
- Pass/Fail based on: successful completion of program requirements (online & F2F), demonstrated skills, knowledge and competencies of CIEHP units, and attendance (minimum 80% of F2F component)
IMPORTANT NOTE: This program is delivered in the fall or winter session only if the number of students enrolled meets the minimum number required by the funder. It is important to apply early.
- Fall 2019: Not Offered
- Winter Term: February 18, 2020 – May 14, 2020
- Face-to-face workshops: Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:00 am to 12:00 noon.
*Note: The exact start and end date will be determined based on the days of week selected for face-to-face workshops.
This is a non-credit program. A certificate of completion will be issued to successful participants.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The CIEHP Program was designed for IEHPs who are planning to enter practice as an IEHP in Canada.
If IEHPs have a plan to apply for Allied Health Sciences programs at RRC instead of entering practice as an IEHP in Canada, then they must also take the Institutional CanTEST (Reading and Writing only) ($80 fee, subject to change) at the Language Training Centre during or after completing the CIEHP Program.
Language proficiency scores in all four skills (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing) are required when applying for allied health programs at RRC. Since the focus of the CIEHP Program is on Speaking and Listening, the students’ final score report in the CIEHP Program provides exit CLB levels for speaking and listening only.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 17, 2020 (or sooner)
The complete application package (hard copies) must be received at the Language Training Centre (3rd floor office) before 4:00 pm on the deadline date. Please contact the office at 204.945.6151 if you have any questions about dropping off your package.
Stuart Schwartz, Program Manager
204.945.6151 extension 6303