Student Supports

Counselling and Academic Advising Services

At the Language Training Centre, we are committed to student success so we provide support and guidance to help students achieve their goals.

Counselling is a process of problem solving to generate options and solutions and helps you make informed decisions. It also provides you with information about available resources. It supports you through this process in a confidential and supportive way. Counselling Services is voluntary and confidential; it has been developed to help students reach academic and personal success.

Students are encouraged to meet with a Counsellor if you:

  • have problems that may be interfering with your learning at school
  • want information on career planning
  • feel isolated
  • feel sad or lonely
  • are having relationship problems
  • lack self-confidence
  • want information that might help you enhance your coping skills in Canada

Students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor if you have questions about:

  • Admission requirements
  • How to apply
  • Finance/Student Aid

To book an appointment, students can complete the online intake form or phone Student Counselling Services at 204-949-8375. If students need help to complete the form or to make the phone call, they can contact a Student Integration Coordinators (Jillian or Christy).

Students can also subscribe to RRC Polytech’s Campus Well-Being blog for helpful information on managing anxiety/or stress or on how to increase/maintain positive mental health in the midst of the current situation.

Student Integration Services

Services Offered

Pathways to Success:

  • Presentations from community organizations supporting employment and education opportunities

Individual Pathway Planning:

  • One-on-one meetings with students to discuss educational opportunities leading to future employment including funding, credential recognition and admission requirements
  • Information for future employment including resumes, volunteer opportunities, job search skills, and referrals to community organizations

Settlement Support Services:

  • One-on-one meetings with students to discuss settlement issues, such as parenting, health, legal concerns, etc. and referrals to community organizations as necessary
  • Settlement information sessions, such as Personal Safety, Housing, and Income Tax information

Building Community:

  • Off-campus activities
  • English Conversation Club
  • LTC News

Personal Support Counselling:

  • One-on-one meetings to help students through times of crisis, including support to manage mental wellness and address personal/relational challenges
  • Provide group information sessions on topics related to mental wellness
  • Facilitate support for accommodations for students as needed
  • Refer to community resources as appropriate

Contact Information

Jillian Hoogland, Student Integration Coordinator

Christy Epp, Student Integration Coordinator, Regional

Student Supports at Other RRC Polytech Campuses

  • Student Service Centres – These are the information centres of the college. The two Student Service Centres are located at the Notre Dame Campus and the Roblin Centre.
  • Centre for International Education and Global Partnerships (CIEGP) (for visa students) – Students may have some uncertainty about living in a new country. The Centre for International Education and Global Partnerships (CIEGP) offers a full range of services to help visa students during each phase of your study and your adjustment to the Canadian education system. The Centre for International Education and Global Partnerships (CIEGP) is located at the Notre Dame Campus.
  • Career Services – Students and recent graduates can get help with job search strategies, resume and cover letter writing, interview preparation, employment application forms, and current labour market information. They can also find help looking for summer, part-time, full-time and temporary employment.
  • Campus Well-Being – Many athletic and recreation services are available to the students of the Language Training Centre. With a student ID card, students can use the fitness centres at the Notre Dame Campus and the Roblin Centre. Students can also participate in fitness classes and intermural sports.
  • Student identification cards – This card identifies the students of Red River College Polytechnic so they can use the library and fitness facilities or receive discounts (for example, a discount on a bus pass). To get this photo ID card, students need to bring the following to the Student Service Centre at the Roblin Centre:
    • a regular photo ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
    • $35
    • student number

Supportive Organizations in Manitoba

Food Banks

Food banks are organizations that provide food to those in need.

Learn more about food banks