Who we test

We assess people who speak English as an Additional Language (EAL). This includes people from countries where English is the language of instruction, but a different mother tongue is spoken at home. Even if English was the language spoken at an applicant’s school, it might not be the Canadian standard academic English used in Red River College programs.

We encourage prospective EAL applicants to take a language test before you apply for your RRC programs. That way, if there are language areas that need improvement, you will not lose your application fee.

If you have had a recent language test elsewhere (such as a Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test at WELARC or an IELTS test in your country of origin) and it is clear to us that improvement is needed, we will advise you on the steps to take. For example, Permanent Residents can take free English classes; you must contact WELARC for a referral.