A Warm Welcome
RRC Library Services is evolving. In the past year we have seen some exciting improvements in our department. Read on to explore the variety of spaces and services available at the Library. As we embark on a new school year, we would like to extend a warm welcome to the students and staff we serve at Red River College.
Library Services has expanded! Academic Success Centre (ASC) and Library Services are now operating out of our Notre Dame Campus and Exchange District Campus Library spaces. We are the hub for supports and resources for both staff and students at the College.
Academic Success Centre
Visit the ASC website for more information about the free services they offer and how to access them.
Library staff are information professionals, trained to help you find and assess information. While the general public is familiar with using Wikipedia and Google, our Library staff are experienced with an array of sources and skills that you may be unaware of. While we offer assistance in navigating information sources, we also want you to know you can ask us anything! We are here to support you!
The following is a list of common Library services:
- Reference consultations: one-on-one assistance locating information
- Audio visual services: AV equipment loans and video
- Library orientations: class orientations (instructors may contact us to arrange this)
- Collection development: resources to support learning and instruction at the College (instructors may recommend a purchase)
- Guides: online guides on multiple subjects to assist research and academic success
- Technical support: troubleshooting and technical assistance (in person at the Help Desk and online)
- Chat Service: online chat service (visit the Library website to try it out!)
- Borrowing Services: free access to books, e-books, journals, e-journals, databases, DVDs, streaming video, and audiovisual equipment. Keep in mind that what you see on the shelf is just the tip of the iceberg. Many of our digital resources may be accessed on any computer or mobile device. We encourage you to explore the Library collection with our NEW OneSearch.
Library Spaces: Notre Dame Campus
Improvements are happening to the Library spaces. See below for a brief tour of the variety of spaces available to you at NDC Library.
Quiet and Group Study Areas
The Quiet Study Area is for focused, silent individual work. The Group Study Area is for open conversation and group work.
Tutor Rooms and Portable White Boards (NEW additions to the Group Study Area)
The tutor rooms – with glass fronts on them – are set aside for tutors to work with students. One room only is for available for students to book using the posted sign-up sheet (max 2 hrs/day). The new sliding white boards are located in the Group Study Area.
Reading areas with comfy chairs, side tables and more
There are multiple reading areas where students can sit comfortably and relax (or work on a puzzle). Also look out for our New Books display, which features all of our new arrivals.
Book Stacks (located in the Quiet Study Area)
Our books and back issues of journals are located on the Quiet side of the Library.
The Computer Lab (and adjoining Classroom) have computers, printers, a copier and a scanning station. Technical assistance is also available at our Help Desk. Orientations and sessions such as our upcoming Lunch and Learn are held in the Classroom.
RRC Library: A Safe Place to Be
Library Services offers a safe, non-judgmental environment where all questions are good ones! We invite you to make use of the Library spaces and services, and explore our website to see what interests you. Best wishes in your studies, teaching and service at the College.
— posted by Linda Fox, RRC Library