Many of our full-time international students with a valid Study Permit and Social Insurance card you are able to work while studying at Red River College. You may also be able to work after you graduate.

Please note you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada.

If you are an International Student who is currently enrolled in our Intensive English for International Students (IEIS) Program, you are NOT eligible to work.

Check out these links from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to find out more about the requirements for working in Canada and getting a work permit:

To work on campus, you must:

If you are a registered, full-time student with a Study Permit, you are able to work on campus without having a work permit.

  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Be registered full-time in a certificate, diploma or degree granting program

To qualify to work off campus, you must:

International students may qualify to work off campus without a work permit.

  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Be a full-time student,
  • Be enrolled and registered full-time in a certificate, diploma or degree granting program that is at least six months in duration and at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level

International students who are undertaking any kind of field education (co-op work experience and internship), regardless of length, must have a valid co-op work permit.

To qualify, you must:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study

You will not be eligible to work during your studies if:

  • You study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or
  • You participate in general interest or preparatory courses.

International students are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit that is valid from 8 months to up to three (3) years, depending on the duration of the academic program successfully completed.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid Study Permit when you apply for the work permit
  • You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months
  • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have graduated from a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university
  • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, an official transcript or graduation certificate) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.

As you seek employment, some employers may not be familiar with the requirements when hiring an international student. We have prepared an “Information for Employers” Information sheet that you can provide to prospective employers.

Please note that Red River College International Education staff are not authorized to provide advice on immigration-related matters. Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements. Students are recommended to consult the CIC website or consult the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirements.