As an international student, you must study with a valid study permit if your program is longer than six months. It’s recommended to apply 90 days before it expires. The study permit can only be renewed from inside Canada.

You may also extend or apply for your co-op work permit while extending your study permit.

Application fee: $150 CAD

Online Application (Recommended)

1. Create a MyCIC account

Go to MyCIC account.

Follow the instructions to create your account.

2. Add a study permit extension application to your account

Login to your MyCIC account.

Follow the instructions to create a study permit extension application.

3. Answer online questionnaires

You’ll need to fill out questionnaires regarding your application. Here is a guide on what to answer.

4. Generate document checklist

Compare your checklist with this sample.

5. Fill out the Application form

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709].

If you cannot download the document using the link above, please check the CIC support page.

For more information, see the sample of the IMM5709 form.

6. Prepare supporting documents

Prepare supporting documents and upload it to the MyCIC account

  • The scanned copy of passport pages needs to clearly show:
    • Page with passport number, dates of issue and expiry, name, date of birth
    • Any marked page, including stamps and visas from either Canada or other countries
  • The scanned copy of the current study permit: merge the passport pages and study permit into one PDF file and upload it to the passport session
  • Proof of funds available or means of support: you must demonstrate that you have enough funds to support your studies, living expenses for one year. You may provide one or a combination of the following:
    • A recently dated official bank statement that includes your Canadian bank’s name, address and your name and address
    • A recently dated official bank statement from your parent’s bank in English or French along with a document shown their relationship to you (if the balance is in foreign currency, please provide the exchange rate and convert the balances to Canadian dollar)
    • Payment receipt from Red River College showing your tuition payment
  • Revised Letter of Acceptance and Confirmation of Enrolment

You might need to provide one or more of the following additional documents (if the situation applies to you)

  • Medical exam, which may be required if you:
    • Have lived outside of Canada for more than six months in the past 12 months
    • Apply to the co-op work permit while applying for study permit extension, and you are planning to work with jobs that bring you into close contact with people or in the agricultural field. Find out if you need a medical exam. If you need, find the local panel physician to perform your exam
  • Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B] form

This form is only required if you answer “yes” to 3,4,5 or 6 in the “Background Information” section of the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] form.

  • Letter of Explanation

7. Getting the documents from Red River College

  • Revised letter of acceptance ($0)
    Please send your request to with your name, student number and your academic program.
  • Transcript ($28.35) and confirmation of enrolment ($16.80) can be ordered with the cost at student service centers in below locations.

Notre Dame Campus
D101-2055 Notre Dame Ave
Phone: 204.632.2327
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am – 3:45pm

Exchange District Campus
P104-160 Princess St.
Phone: 204.632.2327
Hours: Monday to Thursday 8:00am – 4:30pm
Friday: 9:00am – 4:00pm

Language Training Centre
300-123 Main St.
Phone: 204.945.6151
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am – 3:45pm

8. Submit the application

Submit the application and pay the application fee of $150.

9. Confirmation of the submission

Within two business days, you will receive a notification email and the confirmation of the submission through your MyCIC account.

Paper Application

If you choose to submit a paper application instead of an online application, please contact the Red River College’s Immigration Advisor.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The Advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.

All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding Study Permit Extension.


Disclaimer: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Immigration and Student Advisor at This document was prepared on August 14, 2018