Who Qualifies?

International students in post-secondary academic programs at RRC may file a Canadian Income Tax Return. (ESL/ADS programs do not qualify for tuition/education tax credits).

Why do it?

Usually, international students receive some money back from the government.

How to start the process?

If you have a Work Permit, then you should also have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You are ready for the next step.

If you do not have a Social Insurance Number and are not eligible to obtain one, you will need to apply for an Individual Tax Number for Non-Residents (ITN) Form T1261. Forms are available online or from the International Education Office. You will need to complete the form and submit it to Canada Revenue Agency with certified copies of your Passport and Study Permit.

International Tax Services Office
2204 Walkley Rd.
Ottawa, ON K1A 1A8

You should allow approximately 12-16 weeks to receive your ITN. The form and certified documents should be submitted by November to allow enough time to receive your ITN to file your income tax return in March.

Important: If you have an ITN and later qualify for and receive a SIN, it’s important that you notify Canada Revenue Agency. Your information from the ITN does not automatically transfer to the SIN. If you do not notify Canada Revenue Agency, you may lose out on tuition and education credit amounts recorded on your file that can reduce your taxes in future years.

Income Tax Preparation

Where do I go?

In March and April there are free Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics organized by Canada Revenue Agency in various locations in Winnipeg. The International Education Office often hosts a clinic date on campus in March.

For a Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinic location near you, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.


For a fee, there are many Income Tax Preparation Service available including one set up in the Mall Level of the Notre Dame Campus on Mondays, Wednesday and Thursdays during income tax preparation season.

What do I need to bring?

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  • Rent receipts or Statement of Rent Paid
    • Request a letter from your landlord if you do not have receipts.
  • T2202A Forms
    • This is the official tuition receipt provided by Red River College in February (post-secondary academic programs only).
    • Available for you to print from your WebAdvisor Account.
    • ESL and ADS programs are not considered post-secondary training by Canada Revenue Agency. Although EAL and ADS students will not qualify for tuition tax credit, they should bring their original tuition receipts as they may be eligible for other types of credits.
  • Last year’s income tax return (if you have one)
  • Monthly bus passes and receipts
  • T4 forms (if applicable) – If you work, your employer must issue this form to you by the end of February.

Important: Please be reminded to get a Social Insurance Number or Individual Tax Number before you attend one of the clinics. If you have missed the deadline, complete the process but do not submit the form. It can be submitted with your tax return, but will take longer to get your refund.

Additional Information

Revenue Canada Information for International Students