International Student Arrival and Quarantine Information: Winter 2021
Welcome to Red River College! We are happy to welcome students from around the world to Red River College.
If your program is not accessible from overseas, you should then plan to travel to Canada using the information provided below.
If you are having difficulties, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are ready to support your success in your Red River College program!
Information for International Students Travelling to Winnipeg
After reading the above information, if you decide to travel to Winnipeg for your program, you must follow these guidelines:
Before You Travel
During the Flight
At the Port of Entry
From the Airport
It is your responsibility to follow all quarantine guidelines upon arrival in Canada.
Before traveling, please check information on current travel restrictions and exemptions, documents needed, accommodation information for on-campus and off-campus quarantine, transportation services, and government of Canada’s mandatory 14-day quarantine requirements.
- Download the ArriveCAN app to your mobile phone. Enter your personal information up to 48 hours before arriving in Canada, and continue to use it to monitor symptoms for the duration of the quarantine period. This will help speed up your arrival through Immigration Canada at the port of entry.
- Notify Red River College of your arrival and quarantine by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org
While at your quarantine location
Personal needs while in quarantine
The Study Safe Corridor, offered by Languages Canada, is a safe arrival and quarantine option for students arriving in Canada to study. It offers all-inclusive transportation, hotel, food, and communications support for your safe arrival in Canada. Check out the Study Safe Corridor website for more information.
If you are choosing hotel accommodations on your own, please contact the hotels directly with any questions, or to make a reservation. Ensure that you are staying in a private, self-contained unit, and that you have access to your own private washroom.
The following hotel information is provided for your information only. Red River College does not have a relationship with any of the properties listed below.
|Hotel||Region||Rates From||Total Room with Taxes||Airport Transfer||Wifi||Meal Plan||Grand Total||French-Speaking Staff||Elec. Conv.||Local Calls||Room Calls||Flexible Billing||Multiple Room Types||Suites||Kitchen||Comp. Breakfast|
|Alt Hotel Winnipeg||Downtown||$75||$1,165||Yes||Yes||$925||$2,090||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Delta Hotels by Marriott Winnipeg||Downtown||$130||$2,134||Yes||Yes||Inc.||$2,134||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa & Conference Centre, Ascend Collection||Downtown||$95||$1,559||No||Yes||$1,270||$2,829||Yes||Limited||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Best Western Plus Pembina Inn & Suites||South||$112||$1,838||Yes||Yes||$715||$2,554||Yes||Limited||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Hyatt House Winnipeg South Outlet Collection||South||$115||$1,888||Yes||Yes||Inc.||$1,888||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Best Western Plus Winnipeg Airport Hotel||St. James||$154||$2,528||Yes||Yes||Inc.||$2,528||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes|
|Hampton Inn by Hilton Winnipeg Airport Polo Park||St. James||$80||$1,313||Yes||Yes||$537||$1,850||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites||St. James||$150||$2,462||Yes||Yes||Inc.||$2,462||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Sandman Hotel & Suites Winnipeg Airport||St. James||$127||$1,778||Yes||Yes||Inc.||$1,778||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Victoria Inn Hotel and Convention Centre||St. James||$65||$1,067||Yes||Yes||$894||$1,961||Limited||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Limited||No|
|Viscount Gort Hotel, Banquet & Conference Centre||St. James||$68||$1,116||Yes||Yes||$991||$2,107||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
You may also visit Airbnb and select a unit that fits your needs for quarantine. Many of those units provide a contact-less check-in process, which will help you limit your exposure to others, but please make sure you understandthe following when choosing Airbnb:
- All units are individually managed, and the College does not assume any responsibility for damage, loss, or any liability whatsoever.
- According to Government of Canada regulations, you cannot use public transit (bus or taxi), upon your arrival to get to your Airbnb unit. You must hire private transportation (such as a limousine service) to take you to your destination.
Red River College does not have a business relationship with any property listed above. Please contact them directly and speak with their sales manager if you have any questions, and review their cancellation policy thoroughly. For photos and additional information about these properties, please visit their official website or contact their sales manager.
Case Management and Outbreak Response
Red River College students should be prepared to follow the process below if they or one of their family members tests positive for COVID-19:
- A student who is quarantining alone, and who tests positive for COVID-19 during the 14-day quarantine period, will need to self-isolate, unless they require medical attention and/or hospitalization. Please refer to Gallivan (mystudentplan) for eligible expenses. Any student or co-arriving immediate family member who test positive can expect to be contacted by Manitoba public health officials, and will be required to follow all further measures as set out by the public health official, which may include self-isolating beyond the initial 14-day quarantine period.
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19 while quarantining with any immediate family members, the student will be separated fromthe family member and will need to self-isolate, likely beyond the 14-day quarantine period. The family member will need to move to another guestroom and will be monitored for symptoms of COVID-19 during wellness check-ins by a Red River College Nurse. Family members who have been quarantining with a student who tests positive for COVID-19 should expect to be contacted by Manitoba public health officials and will be considered a close contact to this case, and may need to continue to quarantine beyond the 14-day quarantine period.
- If a co-arriving immediate family member tests positive for COVID-19 while quarantining with a student, the family member will be separated from the student and will need to self-isolate, likely beyond the family member(s) initial 14-day quarantine period. The student will need to move into another guestroom, and will be monitored for symptoms of COVID-19 during wellness check-ins by a Red River College Nurse. The student should expect to be contacted by Manitoba public health officials and will be considered a close contact to the case, and may need to continue to quarantine beyond the initial 14-day quarantine period.
- Any unanticipated guestroom and meal costs due to the student or family member(s) testing positive for COVID-19 will be the students’ responsibility.
- Manitoba public health will contact all cases and contacts daily, perform active daily monitoring on cases and contacts for the duration self-isolation, and will advise each case when that requirement ends.
- If you do not follow the 14-day mandatory quarantine under the federal Quarantine Act, you may be subject to fines and penalties established by the Government of Canada and Province of Manitoba.
- Police can ticket travellers who break quarantine under the Contraventions Act, and charges can be laid against a traveller for breaking quarantine under the Quarantine Act, which can result in penalties of up to $750,000 or up to 6 months in jail, or both.
- Quarantine breaches may also be reported to the Canadian Border Services Agency.
- Red River College has created and implemented a COVID-19 policy. Consult our COVID-19 information page for more information.
- Red River College will notify local police if a student violates the quarantine requirements.
Check your understanding
The following information is for new students travelling to Winnipeg. Please review and ensure that you understand each condition on your upcoming study in Canada.
- All students must follow the Government of Canada’s Quarantine Act and guidelines set by local public health authorities. There are serious consequences and penalties for not complying with the Act.
- Before travelling, students should register using the ArriveCAN App and complete any necessary provincial Quarantine/Quarantine Plan for presentation at the airport upon arrival in Canada. Get the ArriveCAN app (iOS or Android). You must report your symptoms daily to the federal government through the app.
- Students must have appropriate medical insurance, effective as of the date of their arrival in Canada, which includes coverage for COVID-19 during the quarantine period.
Questions and Answers
Do not travel when you are ill. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any symptoms of respiratory illness during or after your trip.
Please note that any communication notifying the community regarding COVID-19 outbreaks will be made following the lead of local and provincial public health officials.
Now that you have the important information required for safe travel, we look forward to welcoming you to Winnipeg and your Red River College program. Have a safe journey!
Canada Border Services Agency
Government guidelines may change often, so check back regularly for updates.
If you would like a copy of Red River College’s Readiness Plan for International Students, please contact Norlan Page at email@example.com.