Cannabis on Campus – Red River College Impairment Policy Update

October 12, 2018

As many of you know, recreational cannabis will be legal across Canada beginning on October 17, 2018.

We are committed to providing a safe and healthy working, learning and living environment for everyone. With that said, it’s important for all staff, faculty, students to take the time to review and understand Red River College’s Impairment policy.

Here is what you need to know about Red River College’s policies on recreational cannabis and impairment:

1. As a public institution and under provincial law and College policies, smoking or consuming recreational cannabis at Red River College is not permitted.
  2. No student, staff / faculty member, or visitor will be permitted to carry or store any amount of recreational cannabis at the College – on their person or otherwise.
  3. Consuming recreational cannabis is not permitted before or during any Red River College sanctioned event.
  4. Consuming any substance – alcohol, prescription or over-the-counter medication, cannabis or otherwise – that impairs your ability to work or learn safely is not permitted.
  5. If you need clarification on the difference between medical vs. recreational cannabis, and medical accommodation, please contact your Human Resource Consultant (HRC).

Over the next few days, we will be sharing more information and materials regarding RRC’s Impairment and Cannabis policies through All Staff/Student News, marketing materials, and a Manager’s toolkit.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself, your team members and students with this information, to ensure we can continue to make Red River College a safe and enjoyable learning and working environment for everyone.

If you have any further questions, please contact your Human Resource Consultant (HRC), or visit our Cannabis on Campus resource page.

To review RRC’s Impairment Policy, click here.