Human Resources

Human Resources

Do You Have Dependent Children?

August 27, 2018

If you have unmarried, natural, adopted or step children, under the age of 22 and not working more than 30 hours a week, unless they are full-time students, they are eligible for coverage through your group benefits plan with Great-West Life. If your child is age 22 or over, they must be a full-time student to maintain coverage until age 25.

Don’t forget to reconfirm Student Status!

To ensure your dependent children, age 22 to 25, continue to receive uninterrupted Health and Dental coverage for the duration of their formal education, be sure to update their student status with Great-West Life each year.

Is your Dependent Child considered a full-time student?

A child is considered a full-time student if they have registered in an education institution for 15 hours a week or more; sometime in the last 6 months. Your child is no longer deemed a dependent if they are being paid to attend an educational institution.

Is your child covered while studying abroad?

Your dependent child will remain on your Health and Dental plan for the duration of their education, or until they reach age 25 as long as approval is given by the student’s provincial health plan and meet the definition of eligible dependent child noted above. For more information on your provincial health plan, visit

Keep in mind, any routine or non-emergency services or expenses such as chiropractic care or prescription drugs incurred out-of-country will be reimbursed at the reasonable and customary amount charged in your home province of residence.

If you feel your dependent’s coverage is inadequate and require additional individual coverage, plans purchased in Canada for students abroad can be significantly less expensive than plans available through post-secondary institutions. Red River College Employees have access to HUB Emerge Personal Benefits which provides information and assistance in obtaining individual Health, Dental and Travel coverage. Contact HUB at 1-866-756-3281 or e-mail for more information.

HUB Select Hospital Cash

The HUB Select program offers a variety of products and services such as Hospital Cash. Accidents and illness can happen without warning. When they result in hospitalization, there are unexpected costs not covered by government or employer plans that can cause you financial hardship, such as:

  • Lost wages
  • Child care or cleaning services
  • Mobility devices not covered by provincial plans
  • Overnight accommodation, meals, gas, and parking for visitors

The Hospital Cash program provides you with money to be used any way you want to assist with unexpected costs during your hospital stay. Single or Family coverage is available.

Visit the HUB Select website for more information at

Supporting Your Wellness

The LifeWorks website offers a wealth of information and resources to help you make the most of all aspects of your life. For the month of August, LifeWorks is featuring a suite of resources called Addiction and Recovery.

Addiction and Recovery features a variety of resources to provide support to those with an addiction problem, as well as resources to support affected loved ones.

Be sure to visit to take advantage of the 2018 content, including videos, podcasts, audio tips and much more.

For the RRC EFAP User ID and password, please contact Human Resources Services at 204-632-2319, refer to one of the EFAP posters around campus, or click here.