Congratulations to Jayne Geisel who was elected for a second term to the Red River College Board of Governors on June 2, 2021.
The next RRC Employee Board Member Election will be held in the spring 2023.
As required by The Red River College Act, every two years Red River College staff elect a co-worker to serve on the Board of Governors. The Act also states that employee Board members may be elected for further terms.
An election to determine the employee Board member for the period July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2023 will be held May 27 through June 2, 2021.
Meet the Candidates
Expectations and Role
Board members are remunerated $150 per month. Regular board meetings are held once a month on Monday evenings from September to June and a full or half-day planning session is held in the fall. Occasionally special board meetings are called and may be held anytime.
In addition to attending board meetings, expectations of the position include attending convocation ceremonies and acting as an ambassador for the Board at college functions. The employee member may facilitate a college council (section 21 of The Red River College Act) if they wish.
The employee Board member’s role is to bring an employee perspective to the Board’s discussions and deliberations. As outlined in the Board of Governors Conflict of Interest Policy, the employee member will be excused from discussions related to labour negotiations for the bargaining unit in which they belong.
See the RRC Board Governance Policies for further information regarding expectations and role of the Board and its members.
Permanent and term Red River College employees as of Tuesday, May 11, 2021 are eligible for nomination and to sign nomination forms.
Permanent and term employees during the period Thursday, May 27 to Wednesday, June 2, 2021 are eligible to vote.
Dates to Note
Nomination period begins – Tuesday, April 27
Nomination period closes – Tuesday, May 11, 12:00 p.m.
Candidates to be announced – Wednesday, May 12
Campaign period – Wednesday, May 12 to Wednesday, May 26
Online voting period – Thursday, May 27 to Wednesday, June 2
Election winner announced – Thursday, June 3
- Nominations must be submitted on a Nomination Form and signed by the nominee and five RRC employees. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
- All nomination forms must be received by the Board Administration Office (email@example.com) by 12:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 11, 2021.
- Nominees will receive email confirmation that their Nomination Form has been received by the Board Office.
- The nominees’ employment status (regular or term with end date) will be confirmed with Human Resource Services prior to announcement of the nominees.
- The candidates’ names will be announced on Wednesday, May 12, 2021 in the RRC Staff News.
- In the event that a single nomination is received, the Board Executive Administrator will declare the nominee elected by acclamation and no voting will be held.
Candidates can campaign from May 12 to May 26, 2021.
- A Meet the Candidates page will posted on the 2021 Board Election website on May 13. Each candidate is to provide the Board Administration Office with a biography and optional photo as soon as possible after submitting their nomination. Candidate information on the webpage can be amended or updated anytime throughout the campaign period upon request.
- Candidates may post two messages in the RRC Staff News during the campaign period. Campaign messaging does not require approval from the Board Office, however a candidate will be contacted by the Board Administrator if there are concerns regarding the contents of a message.
- Candidate messages will also be added to the Meet the Candidates webpage.
- Sometimes candidates invite questions directly from RRC staff. There is no requirement for individual employees to send their questions or comments to every candidate. If any questions or comments are received by the Board Office, they will be forwarded to all candidates.
- Online voting will be held Thursday, May 27 through Wednesday, June 2, 2021. The online voting system is managed by the Institutional Analysis and Academic Planning Department.
- Eligible employees will receive an email message on May 27 providing a link to the online voting system and contact information for questions and technical difficulties. The link allows each employee to vote once.
- The online voting system does not personally identify who has submitted a ballot.
- Online voting closes at 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 2. The results are usually available shortly after 4:00 p.m. All candidates will be advised of the election winner via email from the Board Office as soon as possible.
- The number of votes received by each candidate and their ranking is kept confidential. The Board Administrator will provide candidates with their individual results upon request.
- The election winner will be announced on Thursday, June 3, 2021 in the RRC Staff News.
- In the event of a tie vote, a second election limited to the tied candidates will be held within one week. The election procedures will be the same with online voting for seven days.
- If the second election ends in a tie between two candidates, the winner will be determined by a coin toss. In the unlikely event of a second three-candidate tie, the winner will be determined by drawing lots.
- The candidate with the largest number of votes will be appointed to the Board of Governors for a two-year term beginning July 1, 2021.
- If during the two-year term the employee member is not able to continue the Board position, another election will be held for a term ending on June 30 of the second year. However, if this occurs prior to the September 2021 Regular Board Meeting, the candidate who received the next highest number of votes in the June 2021 election will be offered the position.
Additional Information – Board Membership
- In addition to receiving the monthly payment set by the Province, all Board members are entitled to reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses such as parking for attending college- related events, and for mileage if a meeting or activity is outside of Winnipeg.
- The RRC Board strives to limit the amount of paper used at its meetings. Board meeting material is distributed in PDF format four days in advance and members are encouraged to bring their devices to meetings to view it.
- A private team site for RRC Board members provides extensive reference and meeting material, including presentations received at Board meetings.
- The Red River College Governance website contains information about the Board’s role, authority, policies and membership, as well meeting minutes since 1993 when the Board was established.
The election is coordinated by the Board Administration Office. For further information contact:
Executive Administrator to the Board of Governors