Online Learning Requirements
Online learning is a critical component of course delivery in all Red River College Polytechnic programs. To ensure each student has the tools they need to achieve their academic goals, all Red River College Polytechnic students require, at minimum:
- off-campus access to a current computer with a webcam
- a high speed internet connection
- Recommended minimum speed: 10 mbps for download, 3 mbps for upload
- Slower internet connection speeds may result in audio and video issues. Please keep in mind that if others in your home are using the same internet connection at the same time as you are, you may also experience audio and video issues.
We do not recommend Chromebooks, iPads and other similar tablet-style devices, as these may not be fully compatible with the applications and tools that some courses require.
You may want to purchase a headset or headphones and a microphone for clearer audio during classes.
- RRC Polytech does not assist or support with physical hardware repair on computers. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with a third party vendor.
- RRC Polytech does not offer recommendations on where or which brand of laptop to purchase. Laptops may be purchased online or through any retail store/outlet, as long as the minimum specifications are met.
Software and Online Applications
Online technologies are an important tool for accessing your course materials, participating in collaborative learning environments, and building technological skills inside and outside of the classroom.
Red River College Polytechnic provides all students with:
- Microsoft Office 365 (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Student email
- Access to College resources such as our online learning environment, LEARN
- Kurzweil 3000 – assistive technology supporting students with reading, comprehension, writing and study skills
Your specific program may provide access to other required software. Please contact your program area directly for more information.
Minimum Laptop Requirements
As of April 28, 2020, the specifications below meet the laptop requirements for most RRC Polytech programs. If you already own a laptop, and it meets the minimum hardware specifications, you can use it. An optical drive is not required.
Your specific program may have different or additional requirements. Please contact your program area directly for more information.
|Operating System||Windows 8.1 (English Version)||Windows 10 Home (English Version)||Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista are NOT acceptable.|
|Processor||2.1GHz Intel Core i3||1.9GHz+ Intel Core i5||AMD Dual Core processor is acceptable.|
|Memory||4GB||8GB+||More is better.|
|Storage||500GB (Hard Disk)
|750GB+ (Hard Disk)
|Supplemental external, cloud storage is sufficient.|
|Display||12″||13″+||12.5-14″ offers best balance between usability and portability.|
|Wi-Fi||IEEE 802.11n||IEEE 802.11ac||There are minimal LAN connections so your Wi-Fi component needs to meet the standard.|
|Ports||One USB 2
VGA or HDMI
|Two USB 2+
|The more ports available, the more options you have.|
|Other Software||Antivirus with anti-malware software is strongly recommended.|
|Operating System||MacOS 10.12.x|
|Processor||1.6GHz Intel Core i5|
|Storage||320GB (Hard Disk)
Acceptable Use Policy
Any use of Red River College Polytechnic’s information technology infrastructure, including Microsoft 365, online learning, and network, including Wi-Fi, is subject to the College’s Acceptable Use Policy.