orange iconOperational Response Level: Restricted ›
Person washing hands

Coronavirus Information

Update: Vaccination requirements on Campus this Fall

August 25, 2021

Post has been updated – 09/13/2021

Last week, Red River College announced that COVID-19 vaccinations would be required for students, employees, individuals living in residence, and visitors to come on any campus for the fall term.

Work is underway to update our COVID-19 policy to support our vaccine requirement for the fall. As that work is being finalized, we are providing the following update outlining our approach to verifying immunization status and the use of asymptomatic COVID-19 testing on-campus. As part of our approach, asymptomatic COVID-19 testing will only be available for individuals who have been granted an exemption or indicated they will not receive the vaccine and cannot be reasonably accommodated through online learning or remote work.

Verifying Vaccination Status 

The College will use the RRC Mobile Safety App, designed by App Armour, to verify vaccination status for our College community. This additional step will ensure a consistent approach to confirm immunization status for everyone on-campus and allow those members of our College community — who cannot receive a provincial immunization card currently — the necessary validation to attend activities on-campus.

Using the Mobile Safety App will ensure that the College is able to support members of our community who will be required to provide a negative test result to attend on-campus activities due to an exemption as well.

The app will be updated in the coming weeks with an easy-to-use interface that will allow users to upload their vaccine records safely and securely to Safety Health Services. The Mobile Safety App will provide a digital vaccine passport that will be verified upon entry starting September 20, 2021.

The Mobile Safety App is a safe and secure solution that will protect all personal health information. Many post-secondary institutions have worked with App Armour to provide this service for their campus communities.

RRC’s Mobile Safety App is free to download on your smartphone or mobile device, and we encourage all staff and students to download the app as soon as possible.

More information and instructions on how to upload your immunization record to obtain an RRC vaccine passport will be shared next week through Staff and Student News and at our Coronavirus Information page.

Asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing: 

Beginning at the end of September, asymptomatic COVID-19 testing will be required for individuals attending campus who have received an exemption or have chosen not to get the COVID-19 vaccine, and who cannot be reasonably accommodated through remote work or online learning as a result of the essential on-campus delivery of their program.

The College will conduct all on-campus COVID-19 testing under the guidance and direction of Public Health. Individuals who are exempted or unwilling to get a COVID-19 vaccine may be required to undergo regular testing up to three times a week.

On-campus testing is only for asymptomatic members of our community who have an approved exemption. All members of our College community are still expected to screen for COVID-19 symptoms prior to attending campus. If you are symptomatic, you must attend a provincial COVID-19 test site and follow all public health directives and RRC COVID-19 protocols.

More information for on-campus asymptomatic testing protocols will be available next week.

Applying for Exemptions: 

The College has a legal obligation to accommodate individuals requesting an exemption based on protected characteristics. Those who have asked for information on exemptions will be able to complete a form for review and consideration. This form will be available online by Friday, August 27th , and shared via Staff and Student News and made available at www.rrc.ca/coronavirus.

Important Reminders: 

Individuals must obtain their first dose no later than September 20, 2021 and ensure that they obtain and provide proof of a second dose by Sunday, October 17, 2021, for continued on-campus access.

All current COVID-19 protocols, including the use of the daily self-screening tool, masks and physical distancing, remain in effect.

We know that many students and staff will be beginning their classes this upcoming Monday, August 30th and have reached out with questions regarding the vaccination policy and Campus access.

Those required to be on campus for teaching and learning activities will be able to continue with their programs as planned, with all other health and safety measures in place, until the vaccination and testing requirement begins on September 10, 2021.

Those who choose not to pursue their studies this term and would like to request information about withdrawing or deferring their program will be provided more information by the end of this week.

If you have questions, please contact safety@rrc.ca