Today’s breaking news and stories.
The Province of Manitoba has extended the public health orders it issued on March 30 to April 28, 2020, including the following orders:
- Public gatherings are limited to 10 people
- All non-essential businesses must remain closed. This closure does not prevent these businesses from operating on a remote basis, or employees from coming onto the business to perform repairs, provide security, etc.
CreComm students create connections through final project
Public Relations majors in the graduating year of RRC’s Creative Communications program have partnered with Ace Burpee for their final project.
The students were asked to come up with ways for people to fill time, show gratitude, connect, and lower anxiety. Some of their initiatives include:
- #ThankYouBearyMuch, a printable bear that children (or adults) can colour and display in their windows to thank essential workers
- Decorating your mailbox to brighten the day of Canada Post workers
- Sharing ideas for daily community challenges through #WinnipegChallenge
To learn more about the project, visit Ace Burpee’s Instagram.
- Dr. Christine Watson, our Interim President and CEO, recently sent out a video message expressing her gratitude to employees and students, and sharing how we’re looking ahead as a College.
- Last week, the College launched the COVID-19 Emergency Fund to support students who are struggling with daily living costs. Many faculty and staff have reached out to ask if they can donate their parking refunds to the fund. While there is no direct transfer available, those who wish to make a donation to the student fund can do so by visiting rrc.ca/donate
- The new College Cellular Data Use FAQ answers questions RRC staff may have about improving cellphone performance, tethering your computer to a College-issued smartphone, and reducing data usage.
With our new reality of working and learning at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are tapping into the RRC spirit of innovation to bring you culinary and hospitality inspiration with our new Hospitality at Home video series.
First up is RRC grad and instructor Chef Gordon Bailey, who sent in a video of how to make delicious chewy chocolate cookies.
- Today’s post on the Academic Success Centre’s Student Blog series answers the question, “How can I get the most out of my textbook during COVID-19?”
- Introducing the Nursing Community Assessment Guide, a valuable aid for nursing students completing the Community Health Assessment paper, developed in consultation with RRC Nursing instructors.
Well-being for the Week
Brought to you by RRC’s Recreation Services.
Our Potato Head Games launched on Thursday, but it’s not too late to sign up. The games are a series of activities designed to help with your wellbeing during this time of stress and uncertainty.
- Tuesday: Check in on a coworker ask them how they are doing. Workout for the day. Rumble offers no-equipment boxing workouts on their Instagram page
- Wednesday: Check out BOKS for at-home fitness classes for your kids
- Thursday: Take one minute or one hour to do these no equipment exercises from Well and Good
- Friday: Join Holly for yoga fusion, live-streamed live from 12:30 to 12:50 on our Facebook page
On the Horizon
Pull out those walking/running shoes, as we’ll be hosting a virtual walk/jog/ride, with registration opening soon. We’ll also be opening registration this week for our e-sport NHL tournament. Follow Rec Services to keep up with the lastest info and win prizes on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.