Student Accessibility Services Documentation Guide

Our Commitment

Student Accessibility Services is dedicated to providing reasonable and appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities. Disability documentation confirms disability and the potential impact of the disability within a college environment, and is required to develop and implement an accommodation plan. This guide provides students with information to gather disability documentation and register with Student Accessibility Services.

Student Accessibility Services of Red River College Polytechnic agrees to keep all information you share in strictest confidence. Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) we are unable to disclose any information without signed consent. Students are not required to share medical information with faculty in order to access accommodations. The following guide will provide students with the information they need to gather disability documentation and register with Accessibility Services.

Obtaining Documentation

Students with permanent or temporary disabilities who require academic accommodations are encouraged to register with Student Accessibility Services located in D102 at the Notre Dame Campus or P210 at the Exchange District Campus. Students can also register by completing this online form.

Documentation confirming disability and outlining the functional implications of the disability is required; however, interim accommodations may be possible for a limited time pending receipt of appropriate documentation. All documentation is kept confidential in the office of Student Accessibility Services.

When gathering disability documentation, it is important to understand that the most current documentation available is the most helpful when discussing your eligibility for accommodations. To obtain the most recent disability documentation available, you may wish to contact:

  • Your family doctor, medical specialist, psychiatrist, psychologist/psychological associate, ophthalmologist, audiologist or other Registered Health Care Professional (RHCP)
  • The high school or school board where you last attended
  • Your disability service provider if you are sponsored through an external referral/sponsoring source such as Employability Assistance for Persons with Disabilities (EAPD).

Understanding Your Disability Documentation

When requesting accommodations, it is important to understand what your disability documentation says about you. Consider the following questions as you review your documentation:

  • What is my specific disability?
  • How current is my disability documentation? Does my disability documentation accurately reflect my current level of functioning?
  • What is the potential impact of my disability with in a college environment?
  • What accommodations does my documentation say would be helpful?
  • Does my documentation indicate other professional or community supports that may be helpful while I am in college?
  • Is there additional information that I need that is not addressed in my disability documentation?

You may wish to consult your physician, therapist, or other Registered Health Care Professional (RHCP) when answering the above questions.

Disability Diagnosis and Type of Documentation

NOTE: The student is responsible for paying any doctor’s fees related to the completion of the Medical Documentation Form or provision of any other reports or documents. In some cases, in order to assess and adjust required accommodations, or as required by specific program licensing boards, new or returning students may be required to provide updated documentation (within the last 6 months).