ASD Prep Program
A College Preparation Program for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Red River College and Accessibility Services understands that beginning a college program can be an exciting and also challenging time, in a new environment with many fresh experiences waiting around the corner. To encourage a strong start, we are offering a free preparatory program for incoming students identifying with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
We call this program START STRONG!
This program will be run in a group online learning environment, and will include role playing, interactive discussions and PowerPoint slides.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Aged 17 years and older
- Self-identify as being on the Autism Spectrum
- A current student of Red River College or an incoming student preparing for entrance in the 2020-2021 academic year.
For more info about the ASD START STRONG program see this video of our Evening Information Session. This year, due to the College’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, all of the sessions will be held online using an interactive platform.
Below is a general overview of the sessions, with more details to come. The order of sessions and topics are subject to change. The sessions will start in early August, with dates to be announced soon.
- The Difference between post-secondary and high school
- Balancing Responsibilities: Time Management and Anxiety/Stress Management
- Financial Planning
- Knowing yourself: accommodations and support
- Disclosure and Self-Advocacy
- Managing Conflict
- Decision Making
- Independent Living
- Time Management
- Succeeding Socially
- Wrap up party
- Review/evaluation of program with participants
To register or make inquiries, please contact Jennifer Gaulin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-793-0316.