ASD Prep Program
A College Preparation Program for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Red River College and Student Accessibility Services understands that beginning a college program can be an exciting and also challenging time, in a new environment with many fresh experiences waiting around the corner. To encourage a strong start, we are offering a free preparatory program for incoming students identifying with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
We call this program START STRONG!
This program will be run in a group online learning environment, and will include role playing, interactive discussions and PowerPoint slides.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Aged 17 years and older
- Self-identify as being on the Autism Spectrum
- A current student of Red River College or an incoming student preparing for entrance in the 2021-2022 academic year.
For more info about the ASD START STRONG program see this video of our Evening Information Session. This year, due to the College’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, all of the sessions will be held online using an interactive platform.
Below is a general overview of the sessions, with more details to come. The order of sessions and topics are subject to change.
SESSION 1 – Tuesday, August 3 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm):
- The Difference between post-secondary and high school
- Balancing Responsibilities: Time Management and Anxiety/Stress Management
- Financial Planning
SESSION 2 -Thursday, August 5 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm):
- Knowing yourself: accommodations and support
- Disclosure and Self-Advocacy
- Managing Conflict
SESSION 3 – Tuesday, August 10 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm):
- Decision Making
SESSION 4 – Thursday, August 12 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm):
- Independent Living
- Time Management
SESSION 5 – Tuesday, August 17 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm):
- Succeeding Socially
SESSION 6 – Thursday, August 19 (6:00 pm-8:00 pm):
- Wrap up party
- Review/evaluation of program with participants
To register or make inquiries, please contact Jennifer Gaulin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-949-8375.