Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up for services?

It’s easy to register with Deaf and Hard of Hearing services:

Complete an in-take form
Collect your supporting documents

Will my instructors know that I am receiving in-class supports?

Your instructors will be notified that there will be ASL-English interpreters or computerized note takers in your classes. A letter and information package is provided to all faculty in order to prepare them for working with students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. There may be times that you may want the Coordinator of Deaf and Hard of Hearing services to counsellor to advocate on your behalf with an instructor, but you would need to give written permission before this could occur.

In situations where someone’s life is at risk, it is the Coordinator’s legal responsibility to inform those necessary to prevent harm from occurring. In such cases confidentiality may be broken.

How long will my appointment be?

You should plan on your first appointment being about 45-50 minutes long. During this time you and the Coordinator of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services will spend some time getting to know each other and the Coordinator will also gather information in order to help you most effectively. Subsequent appointments may be shorter in length, depending on what you and the Coordinator decide together.

I am not sure what program or courses to take. Can I contact Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services for academic advising or career planning?

Current RRC students or prospective students who would like guidance with exploring career directions should work through the Career Exploration Workbook. Additional career testing and one-on-one appointments are also available.

If current or prospective students are looking for specific course and program information, they would need to contact Academic Advising by calling 204-632-2327 and making an appointment.

If you already know what program you are interested in but are wondering about the job market in that particular field, contact Student Employment Services for further information. You can also review RRC Graduate Satisfaction and Employment Reports which includes reviews and employment success of graduates from that program.

How can I improve my grades and study habits?


Do you need a little extra help with one of your courses? Meeting with a tutor can make a big difference to your success at RRC!


Qualified staff tutors from the ASC offer one-hour review sessions that follow the content flow of traditionally challenging courses. Tutors will work with you to help improve your course understanding, answer questions and offer practice questions and reviews for upcoming tests.

What kind of funding is available for students with disabilities?

The coordinator for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services can explore funding and sponsorship options. Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services works in conjunction with community agencies to secure funding for eligible Deaf and Hard of Hearing students.

Manitoba Student Aid and the Canada Study Grants for Persons with Permanent Disabilities